Do I need City approval to remove or prune a tree?

In some cases, yes, as explained below.

  1. Tree cutting or pruning proposed in critical areas or their buffers.

    Critical areas include streams and wetlands and their buffers and steep slopes (geological hazardous areas). An application to remove hazardous trees or prune trees in critical areas can be found here. Trees can be pruned up to 33% of the tree’s crown. No topping is allowed unless underneath power lines. If trees are deemed hazardous by a certified arborist or by city staff, they can be removed after city approval. The city requires two replacement trees for every tree cut down. In other cases, a limited number of non-hazardous trees in the outer half of a buffer may be removed through a public review process.

  2. Tree removal outside a critical area but within any development where the zoning code or condition of approval of a development requires landscaping.

    This includes all commercial and industrial developments, multiple family developments, and usually short subdivisions or subdivisions built after 1990. Tree removal is allowed but the tree must be replaced if it is required by code. Pruning does not need city approval but topping or pollarding is prohibited. Landscape standards can be found here in Chapter 36 of the City of Everett Zoning Code.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find what my property is zoned?
2. Do I need City approval to remove or prune a tree?
3. What are the restrictions on staying in an RV or tiny home in Everett?
4. Where am I allowed to park or store my RV or tiny home?
5. Do I need a flood hazard permit?
6. How do I get on Everett's Register of Historic Places?
7. How do I learn about proposed developments?
8. What triggers a State Environmental Policy Act Review (SEPA)?
9. What are the categorical exemptions for infill development?