How do I have sidewalks constructed in my neighborhood?

Sidewalks on residential streets are constructed by one of the following:

1. Local Improvement District – A Local Improvement District (LID) provides a way for property owners to get together to pay for street and alley paving, sanitary sewers, street lighting underground wiring, and in some situations sidewalks. 

2. Private consultation – Projects can include right-of-way improvements as required in EMC 13.68.

3. Hire a licensed and bonded contractor and pay the full cost for the sidewalk construction.  Everett Municipal Code (EMC 13.80) requires a permit for construction work in the right of way and the work must be performed by a licensed and bonded contractor.

Even though it is usually the abutting property owner that hires the contractor and pays to have the sidewalk constructed, a consortium of residents in the area can do the same.

Also see the Sidewalk Construction PDF for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What is an unfit or unsafe sidewalk?
2. Who maintains sidewalks in the right-of-way?
3. Why did I get a notification letter and what happens if I ignore it?
4. I don't think my sidewalk looks bad. Why should I replace it?
5. What is the process to replace the sidewalk?
6. I just moved in. Why didn't the previous owner take care of the sidewalk problem?
7. The tree in the planting strip damaged the sidewalk. Why do I have to fix it?
8. How do I have sidewalks constructed in my neighborhood?