Are rooming houses allowed in a single-family zone?

No, rooming houses are only allowed in multi-family and commercial zones, however the code does allow the following when living together as a single, not-for-profit housekeeping unit:

a. A group of not more than four related and unrelated adults and their related minor children, but not to exceed a total of eight related and unrelated persons; or

b. Not more than eight disabled persons, whether adults or minors, living together in a consensual residential living arrangement, but not to exceed a total of eight persons; or

c. State licensed adult family homes as defined by RCW 70.128.010; or

d. State licensed foster family homes and group care facilities as defined in RCW 74.15.020.

Note: the state legislature passed a bill (SB 5235) in the 2021 session, which affects the city’s limitation on unrelated persons within a dwelling. Planning staff are working to understand the implications and revise city code to comply with this new state law.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find what my property is zoned?
2. Do I need City approval to remove or prune a tree?
3. Is an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) permitted?
4. Are rooming houses allowed in a single-family zone?
5. What are the restrictions on staying in an RV or tiny home in Everett?
6. Where am I allowed to park or store my RV or tiny home?
7. Do I need a flood hazard permit?
8. How do I get on Everett's Register of Historic Places?
9. How do I learn about proposed developments?
10. What triggers a State Environmental Policy Act Review (SEPA)?