News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/21/2019 5:31:55 PM to 3/5/2020 12:00:09 AM.
Grand Avenue Park Bridge Project Updates
Posted on: March 4, 2019
[ARCHIVED] Grand Avenue Park Bridge Feb./March 2019 Construction Update
- Reviews and approvals of west tower stairs, bridge lighting and mock-up of the guard rail.
- Frontier installed a crossing of West Marine View Drive for elevator communication.
- The Phase 2 contract to install pipelines in West Marine View Drive, from the bridge tower to 14th Street was awarded and materials procured.
- The steel truss bridge members have been manufactured and are being prepared for transport to the site beginning on March 4. Delivery of the steel will happen in a number of phases.
- Installation of the elevator by the elevator company (including installation of elevator controls, communication and fire detection elements).
- Review of an updated Bridge Erection plan for the approximately 1,000,000 lb (~500 ton) steel truss structure, including the pipelines. Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Railroad will need to approve this plan before the bridge can be set into place.
- The Phase 2 contract is now in active construction. There was some delay to the start due to snow and ice. Current traffic revisions involve closing all but one lane of traffic and using flaggers. There is also a noise variance to allow work to begin at 6 am.
- Assembly of the steel bridge truss, which spans almost 290 feet, nearly the length of a football field! This work is anticipated to start March 18 and take approximately four months.
- Widening of the private railroad crossing by BNSF for the setting of the bridge. The current plan proposes to jack the bridge up to the full elevation and use multi-wheel transporters to position the bridge into place.
- Erection of the bridge is anticipated in Summer 2019. Timing is dependent on approval of the erection plan by the railroad and the ability for the railroad to provide a closure window for 5 railroad tracks.