News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/27/2018 3:33:13 PM to 7/27/2018 3:42:14 PM.
Grand Avenue Park Bridge Project Updates
Posted on: July 27, 2018
[ARCHIVED] Grand Avenue Park Bridge July 27, 2018, Construction Update
- Rebar preparation, forms, and concrete pours for the uppermost portion of the tower. The tower concrete pours (both the outside walls and rooms inside) are now complete.
- Rebar preparation, forms, and concrete pours for the east abutment of the bridge at Grand Avenue Park.
- Slope stabilization installation.
- Installation of large diameter pipelines in West Marine View Drive.
- Sandblasting of patterns on exterior of tower.
- Reviews and approvals of bridge steel shop drawings, bridge lighting, and mock-up of the guard rail.
- Steel bridge pieces are being manufactured and then assembled in a large bay at the mill in Vancouver, Washington. The Washington State Department of Transportation is inspecting this process.
- Contractor is awaiting approval of the Bridge Erection Plan from BNSF Railway. Application was also made for widening the private railroad crossing for the bridge erection.
- Paving of West Marine View Drive will reduce the lanes of traffic to one lane with flagging. This is anticipated in the first week of August, but is dependent on the paving subcontractor and weather.
- Installation and welding of pipelines in the utility shaft.
- Frontier will be installing a crossing for elevator communication. This work will involve lane closures on West Marine View Drive and will not begin until after the current traffic control for one-lane flagging is no longer needed.
- Removal of traffic control from West Marine View Drive.
- The elevator is in the process of being manufactured and scheduled for delivery approximately September 1st.
- PUD will be installing electrical service to the tower for the elevator.
- Completion of roofing for the tower.
- Suspension of construction contract for critical path items. Per the provisions in the contract, a contract suspension related to the manufacture and delivery of the steel bridge members was allowed due to the number and size of steel members to be manufactured. This suspension, coupled with the fourth quarter moratorium that BNSF Railway has for over track work, will lead to a bridge setting date in 2019. The timing for setting the bridge is also dependent on PUD allowances for outages on the transmission lines that cross over the bridge. This outage window is typically reserved for late spring or summer due to higher electrical demands and weather. Once the bridge is placed, additional work will continue, including pouring the pedestrian pathway, and installation of railings and lighting.