What triggers a State Environmental Policy Act Review (SEPA)?
- The construction or location of any single-family residential structures of more than 30 dwelling units (31+)
- The construction or location of any multi-family residential structures of more than 60 dwelling units (61+)
- The construction or demolition of a commercial building (office, school, warehouse, retail, etc.) with more than 30,000 square feet of gross floor area
- The construction of a parking lot of more than 90 parking spaces
- Any fill or removal of earth material at or over 1,000 cubic yards
- Any above ground fuel tanks that would require a Fire Department permit. Any underground tanks of 10,000 gallons or more
- The demolition of a recognized historic structure (single family residential and commercial)
If a project is located in the Urban Residential (UR), Urban Mixed (UM) or Urban Light Industrial (ULI) zones -- Metro Everett, additional exemptions from SEPA review are provided:
- The construction of up to 200 dwelling units
- Mixed-use development (must include residential)
- Commercial development up to 65,000 square feet, excluding retail development
What triggers public notice of a development application exempt from SEPA?
When development proposals are exempt from SEPA review (see above) but exceed the minor new construction minimum thresholds in WAC 197-11-800(1)(b), public notice that a development application has been submitted must be posted on the property. Two signs, each at 24" x 36", must provide the following information:
- Name of applicant
- Address of property
- Written description of the request
- City staff contact
- Site plan
- Where the application can be reviewed
The following table identifies the current SEPA exemption thresholds and the former that require posting a public notice on the site of the proposed development.
|Project Types||SEPA exemption thresholds||Former exemption thresholds requiring posting at site|
|Residential||30 SF units; 60 MF units; 100 units in E-1 MUO||4 dwelling units; 100 units in E-1 MUO|
|Agriculture Structures||40,000 square feet||10,000 square feet.|
|Non residential||30,000 square feet||4,000 square feet; 15,000 square feet in E-1 MUO|
|Parking||90 stalls||20 stalls|
|Fill or Excavation||1,000 cubic yards||500 cubic yards|
To find out more about the SEPA process, call 425-257-8810 (press option 3) and ask to speak with the planner on duty, or email.