Fire Permits

All Fire Permits addressed in this page are in reference to Per-Event/Activity-Operational Fire Permits (Fire Permits) that are for activities and practices that are performed on a per event basis and do not constitute as an Annual Operational Permit nor a Construction Permit. Typically Per-Event–Operational Fire Permits require additional review and inspection time that is required to ensure safe operations and code compliance. The applicant for the event or activity will be responsible for all fees associated with the review and any required inspections associated with the permit. Fees related to an individual fire permit can be found at the beginning of the application, titled “Fees”. 

Applicants must allow for a minimum of 14 days for processing.

If you need assistance determining whether an operational permit is required, please call the Everett Fire Marshal’s office at 425-257-8120.

*Please note that building permits should be applied for at the Permit Counter for review and inspection by the Fire Department, Permit Services and other affected departments. Alarm systems require an electrical permit from the Permit Counter first, and then a separate Fire Department permit for the alarm system layout.

Please choose from the following permit types and their descriptions.

Amusement Building

A building that is temporary, permanent, or mobile that contains a device or system that conveys passengers or provides a walkway along, around, or over a course in any direction as a form of amusement, arranged so that the egress path is not readily apparent due to visual or audio distractions or an intentionally confounded egress path, or is not readily available because of the mode of conveyance through the building or structure. To apply for an Amusement Building permit, please click here.

Carnivals, Fairs, and Festivals

A temporary gathering of 50 or more participants involving one or more of the following activities:

  • Exclusive use of public facilities such as buildings, parks, streets, parking lots, athletic fields, etc.
  • Use of private property where temporary structures (stages, grandstands, tents, canopies), and/or demonstration areas, activity participation areas are utilized by the public.
  • Closing of a public street or private right-of-way.
  • Requires temporary installation of equipment and/or buildings.
  • Requires public safety support based upon Fire Department assessment.

To apply for a Carnivals, Fairs, and Festivals permit, please click here.

Decommissioning Residential Heating Oil Tanks (Step 1)

An underground tank having a capacity of 1,000 gallons or less, and its associated piping, that contains, or previously contained, heating oil for the primary purpose of heating one- or two-family residential structures. To apply for a Decommissioning Residential Heating Oil Tanks permit, please click here.

Decommissioning Report (Step 2)

A Tank Decommissioning Report shall be completed, signed, and submitted by the ICC-certified underground storage tank decommissioner performing or overseeing the work along with the property owner within 30 days of completion of work. To apply for a Decommissioning Report permit, please click here.

Exhibits, Trade Shows & Special Assemblies Permit

An Operational Fire Permit is required to operate exhibits and trade shows and other similar events when the operation is not a condition of a certificate of occupancy. The City of Everett requires facilities to meet specific life safety standards when hosting these types of events. Exhibits and trade shows are defined as any event with temporary vendor displays or booths. Also indicated would be any assembly event set up that deviates from the normal use of the space, to include sectioning off to reduce the size of the original space or a configuration which obstructs the exits within the space. To apply for an Exhibits, Trade Shows, and Special Assemblies permit, please click here.

Hot Work Operations

Hot work including, but not limited to:

  • Public exhibitions and demonstrations where hot work is conducted.
  • Use of portable hot work equipment inside a structure. Exception: Work that is conducted under a construction permit.
  • Application of roof covering with the use of an open-flame device.

To apply for a Hot Work Operations permit, please click here.

Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle

A permit is required for mobile preparation vehicles equipped with appliances that produce smoke or grease-laden vapors or utilize LP-gas systems or CNG systems. To apply for a Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle permit, please click here.

Open Burning

An operational permit is required for the kindling or maintaining of an open fire or a fire on any public street, alley, road, or other public or private ground. To apply for an Open Burning permit, please click here. To determine if a permit is needed, see our Open Burning handout.

Open Flames and Candles

An operational permit is required to use open flames or candles in connection with assembly areas, dining areas of restaurants, or drinking establishments. To apply for an Open Flames and Candles permit, please click here.

Open Flames and Torches

An operational permit is required to remove paint with a torch. To apply for an Open Flames and Torches permit, please click here.

Pyrotechnic Special Effects – Proximate Display

Proximate Pyrotechnic Displays are special effect devices specifically designed to have little or no fallout. Proximate Displays are primarily used for indoor events where the audience is close to the fireworks. To apply for a Pyrotechnic Special Effects Proximate Display permit, please click here.

Pyrotechnic Special Effects – Public Display

“Public Display” means an outdoor fireworks display for a public or private gathering. To apply for a Pyrotechnic Special Effects Public Display permit, please click here.

Temporary Membrane Structures and Tents

An operational permit is required to operate an air-supported temporary membrane structure, a temporary stage canopy, or a tent having an area in excess of 400 square feet.


  1. Tents used exclusively for recreational camping purposes.
  2. Tents open on all sides, which comply with all of the following:
    • 2.1. Individual tents having a maximum size of 700 square feet
    • 2.2. The aggregate area of multiple tents placed side by side without a fire break clearance of not less than 12 feet shall not exceed 700 square feet total.
    • 2.3. A minimum clearance of 12 feet to structures and other tents shall be provided.

To apply for a Temporary Membrane Structures and Tents permit, please click here