Line of Duty Deaths

Police officers are trusted public servants that knowingly take on the burden and the responsibility to protect and serve their community, putting themselves in harm’s way and choosing to walk towards danger rather than away from it. Over the history of the Everett Police Department, four of our officers and one K-9 have paid the ultimate price and lost their life in the line of duty.
This page is meant to preserve their memory as well as serve as a venue for our community to honor and remember their sacrifices. We will never forget these brave officers and our beloved K-9.

LODD Header to use


On the afternoon of March 25th, 2022, Officer Dan Rocha went to his favorite local coffee shop at 1010 North Broadway Ave. This was his coffee shop; he knew the partners beyond just their names, knowing their lives, sharing in their successes, and was part of their store family. In return, they knew Dan’s go-to order, his smile, and how he was always his authentic self.

As he was getting his coffee that day, he noticed a suspicious figure moving guns between cars in the parking lot. He did the right thing and contacted the individual. During this contact, the situation quickly escalated, and Dan was tragically shot and killed.

Officers quickly responded to help and, after a short pursuit, took the involved individual into custody. The trial regarding this incident is still ongoing. 

Daniel (Dan) Rocha was born July 6, 1980, in Santa Barbara, California to parents Charlie and Melanie Rocha.  When Dan was 4, his mother re-married to Mike Henry, who quickly became Dan’s second dad. Dan grew up in Las Vegas, and from a very young age, took interest in sports to include soccer, ice hockey and high school football.  Dan was lucky to be coached by both his dads growing up.  It was through sports and family that Dan learned the importance of discipline, teamwork and standing up for others.  As a defenseman in hockey, Dan was not only good on his skates, but also presented a looming presence to opposing players who may have even had a thought about picking a fight with any of his younger, smaller teammates.  From a very young age Dan was a protector.  

Dan graduated from Durango High School in 1998 and attended college at UNLV.  Dan then went to work at the MGM Grand Hotels, which is where he first met the love of his life, Kelli.  Kelli and Dan began dating in 2002, and a few short years later were married in 2005.  They welcomed their first son, Thomas, into their lives in 2010, and were blessed with the arrival of their second son, Harrison in 2012.  As a close-knit family, Dan, Kelli and the boys did everything together and treasured the time they were able to spend with one another.  

Looking for a break from the heat and a new community in which they wanted to raise their beautiful young family, Dan and Kelli moved to Everett in 2011, settling into a neighborhood in north Everett, where they quickly became part of the fabric of the Everett community.  However, several years later, due in part to Dan’s love for nature, trees and water, he moved his family to the Stanwood area in 2017.

Not long after their arrival in Everett Dan went to work for Fred Meyer, landing a job at the Casino Road store as an assistant manager.  Dan enjoyed meeting and talking with customers and co-workers and his easygoing, relaxed personality presented an open invitation for anyone to strike up a conversation with him.  

Dan aspired to do something that mattered in this world and give back to his community.  He first dipped his toe into public service when he was hired as a parking enforcement officer for the Everett Police Department in 2017.  As a parking enforcement officer, Dan quickly established himself as a hard worker with outstanding public relations skills.  Shortly after his arrival at the Everett Police Department, officers saw personality traits in Dan that they knew would make him a successful police officer, and they quickly began recruiting him to apply for a position as a fully commissioned officer.

In 2018, Dan was hired as a police officer and was first assigned to patrol the same neighborhood that he had previously worked in while employed at Fred Meyer.  While Dan was able to quickly reconnect with the neighborhood he had previously served, it was his ultimate goal to return to north Everett and patrol the streets that he once lived in after his family had arrived here in 2011.  In 2020, Dan landed his dream assignment, as a dayshift patrol officer in north Everett.  This is where Dan faithfully served his community up until his passing on March 25, 2022.

Dan was a hero to his family, to the men and women of the Everett Police Department and to our entire community.  He leaves behind his loving wife Kelli, sons Thomas and Harrison, dads Charlie Rocha and Mike Henry, sisters Morgen Henry and Rae Ann Hismiogullari, sister-in-law Maggie Palos and brother-in-law Matt Nicholas, plus a large extended family who loved him dearly.

 Dan Rocha


On July 16, 1999, at approximately 3:14 a.m., Everett Police officers were in pursuit of a stolen vehicle which was headed eastbound on the Highway 2 trestle. The suspect vehicle was involved in a collision on the east side of the trestle at approximately 3:17 a.m. and Officer Dibucci had taken a containment position on the ramp leading from Highway 2 to Highway 204. Shortly after the suspect vehicle crashed, two suspects were taken into custody. Officers began to investigate the incident and delegate assignments.  At approximately 3:40 a.m., Officer Dibucci's vehicle was observed unattended and no one reported having seen him. Officers then observed Officer Dibucci approximately 100 feet below the Highway 204 trestle. Officers attempted to render aid to their coworker, but their attempts were unsuccessful.

After the incident, an investigation took place. Investigators believe that Officer Dibucci had exited his vehicle on the Highway 204 trestle to provide scene security and cover for the accident scene. There is a separation of approximately 20 feet between the two spans of roadway.  It appeared as though Officer Dibucci approached the jersey barrier and ran into the base of the barrier which extends about 8 inches further than the top.  His momentum carried him forward over the jersey barrier, causing him to fall approximately 100 feet, which resulted in his death.

Officer Dibucci was 30 years old and fulfilling a lifelong dream to be a police officer. He was with the Everett Police Department for almost two years and had previously served as a police officer with the Tenino Police Department. Outside of work, Brian raced motorcycles competitively and loved working on his prized Chevy Impala. His legacy lives on through the annual Brian Dibucci Award, which recognizes an outstanding police officer who shows a dedication to our community and a passion for proactive police work within their first five years. 

Brian DiBucci


On November 23, 1920, Detective John H. “Jack” Fox, No. 102, of the City of Everett Police Department, was killed in the line of duty.


Detective Fox responded with Detective Al Miller to 34th and Broadway for a report of a hold-up at gunpoint.  At that location the detectives picked up the victim and two witnesses.  They began to follow the suspect’s path going west on 34th.  At Colby the detectives saw a lone man.  He did not appear to be dressed as the witnesses described the suspect, nor did the victim or witnesses immediately recognize him.  The officers decided to stop and speak with him anyway.  As the patrol vehicle came to a rest and Detective Fox exited, the man was seen reaching for a pistol.  Fox yelled to the man while drawing his own weapon, a .380 automatic.  The two exchanged gunfire.  Detective Fox slumped back into the vehicle and declared that he was hit.  Detective Miller broke off the engagement and rushed Detective Fox to the hospital.  Detective Fox died as they arrived, having suffered one shot to the abdomen.


Following an extensive manhunt supported with numerous tips from alert citizens, suspect Charles Harris was located and arrested without incident.  He was found armed with a Colt 45 revolver that had recently been fired.  Harris confessed to the hold-up and the shooting of Detective Fox, along with numerous other local incidents.


Detective Fox was survived by his wife, Mrs. Winiford M. Fox.  He was a resident of Everett as well as an officer of the department.  Fox was a member of both the Eagles and the Odd Fellows.  37 years old at the time of his death, he was described as very popular with officers of the department and members of the community.  Detective Fox was laid to rest at the Evergreen Cemetery in Everett.


Suspect Charles Harris entered a guilty plea to the crime of robbery, but made a claim of self-defense in the shooting of Detective Fox.  The court did not find for him in this regard, and Harris was convicted of Murder in the First Degree.  He was sentenced to life in prison.  This sentence was later commuted by Governor Langlie to 32 years.  Harris was released from prison on 12 December, 1948.

Detective John J Fox


Detective Charles Raymond had served the Everett Police Department for 10 years.  On July 3rd, 1902, Detective Raymond was shot and killed while assisting other agencies in a search for a wanted felon.
On June 9th, 1902, an inmate escaped the Oregon State Penitentiary and while doing so, shot and killed Correctional Officer Bailey Tiffany, Correctional Officer Thurston Jones, and Correctional Officer Frank Ferrell, of the Oregon Department of Corrections. The man also killed three civilians during the escape. A large multi-state manhunt was initiated following the escape and murders.

On July 3rd, 1902, as a posse searched the area, the man setup an ambush in a wooded area along the train tracks between Woodinville and Wayne. He shot and killed Detective Charles Raymond and wounded Deputy John Williams, of the King County Sheriff's Department. 

The suspect then fled the scene and invaded a house where he took the occupants hostage and ate dinner. As he left the house, he encountered other officers and engaged them in a shootout. Posseman Neil Rowley of the King County Sheriff's Department and Officer Enoch Breece of the Seattle Police Department were both shot and killed.

On August 6th, 1902, the man committed suicide after being wounded during a shootout with a posse in Lincoln County, Washington.

Detective Raymond was survived by his wife and five children.

Detective Charles Raymond


On Monday, March 24, 2003, 8-year-old K-9 Ikon was struck by a vehicle on I-5, near 112th Street, while tracking a subject during a foot pursuit.
The subject had been stopped for a traffic violation and then fled on foot after officers discovered he was wanted on a felony warrant. Ikon was released from his lead to track the subject through thick underbrush. As Ikon tracked the subject across I-5, he was struck by a vehicle.
His handler transported him to a local veterinary clinic where he died shortly after midnight on March 25th, 2003.

K-9 IkonK-9 Ikon 2 

The Everett Police Department would like to thank some of the wonderful organizations that have been instrumental in helping our officers and their families when we have experienced a line of duty death. To learn more about these great organizations, please check out their websites.

Tunnels to Towers - The Tunnels to Towers foundation was started to honor the sacrifice of firefighter Stephen Siller who died on September 11, 2001. They raise money to provide mortgage-free homes to Gold Star and fallen first responder families and by building specially adapted homes for catastrophically injured veterans and first responders.

Behind the Badge - The Behind the Badge foundation provides support to Washington State law enforcement agencies, families and communities after a serious injury or death in the line of duty.