Sexual Assaults

Any unwanted sexual contact is a sexual assault which is a serious crime and traumatically affects thousands every year. Victims often feel like the incident was their fault and could have been prevented. These common reactions often prevent victims from speaking up, reporting the incident, or getting needed support. While it is a difficult decision, Everett Police encourages victims to report sexual assaults as soon as possible. This can be done by going to a hospital where a SANE nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) assists victims. A victim advocate is another resource that can assist victims through the process.

We are committed to investigating sexual assault crimes, relationship violence, domestic violence, criminal harassment, and stalking. The health and safety of victims is a priority for Everett Police and our Sexual Assault Crimes detectives are specially trained to work with victims of sexual assault with compassion, impartiality and confidentiality.


  • Get to a safe place and call 911 or go to a local hospital.
  • While there may be statutes of limitation, it is never too late to report a sexual assault or seek help.
  • Prompt reports allow a better chance to collect evidence and may strengthen investigations for prosecution.
  • You may have a companion or victim advocate with you throughout the process.
  • Preserve the evidence, if possible.
  • You are not alone and help is available.

Sexual assault victims are survivors! However, we use the term “victim” as it refers to anyone who had a crime committed against them.

  1. Reporting
  2. The process
  3. The investigation

Go to the hospital:

Sexual assault can be reported by going to a hospital where a SANE nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) assists victims. SANE nurses have specialized training in sexual assaults and can facilitate calling an officer. Even if you do not want to discuss what occurred, it is important to record the facts. If you do not want to make a report, you will still be medically assessed at the hospital and given options.

There should be no cost to survivors for a sexual assault exam. Costs will be covered by insurance or reimbursed by the Washington State Crime Victims Compensation Program.

Seek medical care as soon as possible:

  • Even if there are no visible injuries
  • If you suspect you were drugged, tell medical staff who can administer a test


Call police or go to the police station:

If you are at a safe location, call 911 so an officer can be dispatched to start an investigation. You will be asked questions about what happened and asked to provide a written a statement. The officer may request you go to the hospital for medical attention and to have a SANE nurse collect evidence.

It is important to preserve physical evidence for the possibility of prosecution, even if the victim does not initially wish to participate in criminal proceedings. If possible, evidence is best collected within 72 hours by a SANE nurse or police officer.

If you are a survivor of a sexual assault:

  • Get to a safe location
  • If possible, preserve all evidence
  • Do not:
    • Shower, bathe, or wash your hands
    • Comb your hair, brush your teeth
    • Change or wash your clothes
    • Eat, drink or take any drugs/alcohol
    • Use the toilet
  • If you are at the location where the crime occurred:
    • Do not cleanup, straighten up or remove anything from the scene
  • If you have changed clothes or bedding (if applicable), place them in a paper bag
  • Write down or record any details you can recall about the assault and perpetrator
  • Go to the hospital or call 911 to report the incident


  1. As a victim, what should I expect?
  2. What happens after I make the initial sexual assault report?
  3. What is a victim advocate?
  4. What is a SANE nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner)?
  5. What hospital can I go to?
  6. What is a sexual assault “rape kit”?
  7. How long after an incident can evidence be collected?
  8. What is considered sexual assault?
  9. What are my medical choices?
  10. What if I think I was drugged?
  11. Is it ever too late to seek help or report a sexual assault?
  12. How can I preserve possible evidence?
  13. I am a kid and think something happened… What do I do?
  • We will meet with you privately to file a report.
  • To the extent possible by law and policy, we will not release your name.
  • We will treat you and your case with professionalism, sensitivity, dignity, understanding, and courtesy.
  • We will keep you informed of the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution.
  • We treat all cases and investigations with professionalism, sensitivity and compassion- regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the survivor or suspect.

The Washington State Legislature established law (RCW 7.69.030) to make reasonable efforts to ensure that victims, survivors of victims, and witnesses of crimes have rights, which apply to any criminal court and/or juvenile court proceedings. Child victims and witnesses also have rights (RCW 7.69A).

Additional Resources:

  1. Dawson Place Child Advocacy Center
  2. Domestic Violence Services of Snohomish County
  3. Office of Crime Victims Advocacy (OCVA)
  4. Providence Intervention Center for Assault & Abuse
  5. Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
  6. Revised Code of Washington (RCW)
  7. Victim Support Services (VSS)
  8. Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs (WCSAP)

Dawson Place Child Advocacy Center

Dawson Place is a group of professionals responding to concerns of child abuse because every child who is a victim of physical abuse, sexual assault, neglect, drug endangerment, or witness a violent crime deserves the profession care they need for safety, justice, and healing.