Click the tabs below to learn more about commercial construction.
Commercial construction consists of any work on multi-family, mixed-use, commercial, industrial, institutional, or otherwise considered non-residential (SFR, duplex, or townhomes) buildings constructed under the provisions of the International Building Code (IBC) or their related site work. A permit is required for most work including but not limited to the following:
- New construction of commercial buildings (as noted above)
- Additions, remodels, or repairs to commercial structures
- Core & shell work on commercial buildings
- Foundation-only work on commercial buildings
- Demolition of commercial structures (demolition permit)
- Interior demolition (building permit)
- Tenant improvements (T.I.)
- Change of use / change of occupancy
- Espresso stands
- Commercial decks, ramps, & stairs
- Commercial re-roof
- Fences over 7ft in height
- Cell towers & antenna replacements
- Commercial swimming pools, hot tubs, spas
- Mechanical equipment/fixtures on a commercial property
- Plumbing fixtures in a commercial property
- Electrical work in a commercial property
- Fire alarm systems & emergency radio systems
- Fire suppression systems
For commercial site work (outside of the building), see our site development page.
For SFR, duplex, or townhome construction, see our residential construction page.
For other types of construction, please view our complete list of construction permit applications.
Permit applications and required submittal documents as listed in the submittal checklists shall be dropped off at the Permit Services lobby Drop-Box. Please download, fill out and sign, then print the following applications to submit with your permit package and follow all instructions for submitting your complete permit application package:
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Application (PDF) - consider applying online instead.
- Electrical permit application (PDF) - consider applying online instead.
- Mechanical Permit Application (PDF) - consider applying online instead.
- Plumbing Permit Application (PDF) - consider applying online instead.
- Fire Alarm Permit Application (PDF)
- Fire Suppression Permit Application (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
City of Everett business license:
Contractors working in the city limits of Everett need a current City of Everett business license. For more information visit the Business License web page or email the City Clerk’s Office for business license numbers or account status information.
Checklists & handouts
The following list contains informational handouts and submittal checklists that are applicable to commercial construction. Click on the link to open the document that best fits the type of project you are proposing or information you are seeking.
- Accessible parking & route checklist (PDF)
- Accessible parking & route (PDF)
- Building height (PDF)
- Change of occupancy checklist (PDF)
- Commercial construction submittal checklist (PDF)
- Commercial daycare & medical care (PDF)
- Commercial kitchen plumbing checklist (PDF)
- Commercial mechanical & hoods checklist (PDF)
- Commercial permit submittal process (PDF)
- Commercial roofing checklist (PDF)
- Commercial decks, ramps & stairs (PDF)
- Construction codes (PDF)
- Construction within a potential methane hazard zone (PDF)
- Espresso stand checklist (PDF)
- New business (PDF)
- Noise (PDF)
- Propane (PDF)
- Oil & grease control for food services checklist (PDF)
- Grease & oil management (PDF)
- Sign permit checklist (PDF)
- Tenant improvement submittal checklist (PDF)
- Traffic electrical design development guidelines (PDF)
- Type 1 & 2 hoods (PDF)
- Fire detection checklist (PDF)
- Fire suppression checklist (PDF)
- RCW 64.55 checklist (PDF)
- RCW 64.55 valuation spreadsheet (XLS)
The following list contains fee schedules that are applicable to commercial construction and their associated impact fees.
- Commercial building permit fees (PDF)
- Traffic & school mitigation fees (PDF)
- Utility & system development fees (PDF)
- Public Works permit fees (PDF)
- Electrical permit fees (PDF)
- Mechanical & plumbing permit fees (PDF)
- Fire Dept review & inspection fees (PDF)
A 2.3% credit card convenience fee will be applied to all credit and debit card transactions, effective July 1, 2019.
Please reference the Building Official’s Administrative Guidelines (PDF) for administrative fees and the Permit Services refund policy.