Residential construction

Click the tabs below to learn more about residential construction.

  1. Overview
  2. Permit applications
  3. Checklists & handouts
  4. Permit fees


Residential construction consists of any work on single family, duplex, or townhome buildings constructed under the provisions of the International Residential Code (IRC) or their related sites. A permit is required for most work including but not limited to the following, except as exempted by code:

Building permits:

  • New construction of single family homes (SFR), duplexes, or townhomes
  • Additions, remodels, or repairs to single family homes (SFR), duplexes, or townhomes. 
  • Accessory structures (garages, sheds, carports)
  • Accessory dwelling units (ADUs & DADUs), mother-in-law units
  • Infill dwelling units
  • Adult family homes
  • Mobile/Manufactured homes
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs, & spas
  • Decks, porches, or exterior stairs
  • Residential re-roof
  • Solar panel installation (solar panel permit)
  • Demolition of buildings on a residential property (demolition permit)

Trade permits:

  • Mechanical equipment/fixtures on a residential property
  • Plumbing fixtures in a residential property
  • Electrical work in a residential property
  • Residential sprinkler systems for fire suppression (inside building)

For residential site work (outside of the building), see our site development page.

For multi-family or mixed-use residential, see our commercial construction page.