Everett streateries



The Everett Streatery program is a simple way for businesses in Everett to expand their dining areas by utilizing some of the public right-of-way space around their business.

Choose an option

Businesses can choose from a few different options to create a program that works best for their unique location and business model. These options are:


Parking zone cafe

This is a brand new program that we created in response to the recent rollbacks intended to slow the spread of COVID-19. This program allows businesses to temporarily utilize some of the city-owned parking and expand into the curb-side sidewalk area in front of their business to create an outdoor dining area while government-mandated indoor dining restrictions are in effect. The permit is free.

To apply for a parking zone cafe, simply fill out this application form.

Once you apply, a member from our team will email or call you to confirm your application is under review. If necessary, they will help you to work out any issues or small details.

Once your application is approved, a member from our team will work with you to coordinate set up.

Sidewalk zone cafe

The backside of the sidewalk against the building is called the “sidewalk zone.” Creating cafe seating in this area is simple and free, and permits are issued on an annual basis. Simply fill out this annual right-of-way permit application (PDF) and email it to permit services at PermitServices@everettwa.gov 


Streatery Zone Examples

Want both options? 

Want to create a temporary parking zone and an annual sidewalk zone cafe? Awesome! Just apply for both options. Both applications are super easy and we'll help you if you get stuck. Wondering why we don't have a single application for both options? Good question; it has to do with the sidewalk cafe zone being an annual permit and the parking zone cafe program being a 90-day permit.

Planning to serve alcohol?

In a sidewalk cafe? You’ll need to fill out this form and return it to the Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board via the instructions listed on the document.   

In a parking zone cafe? You’ll need to complete this alteration form and email it to the email address listed on the document.


If you have any questions about the Streatery program, email Tyler Chism at tchism@everettwa.gov.

  1. Frequently asked questions

Q: Is the Streatery program only for downtown businesses? 
A: No. Any business in Everett that would require the use of a city right-of-way to expand their outdoor seating can apply for a Streatery permit. 

Q: Is the Streatery Program only for bars and restaurants?
A: No, not technically. If your business could benefit by having some additional space outside in a city right-of-way, please apply.

Q: If I apply for any of these options am I guaranteed a permit? 
A: No. Streatery permits are issued on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of City of Everett. That said, we'll make every attempt possible to accommodate businesses and work to find a solution that works for you.

Q: I want to apply for a parking zone cafe. How many parking spaces am I allowed to request? 
A: We don't have a limit for each individual business, but we do have a limit on the total parking spots this program can utilize. A single block cannot have more than 25% of its parking utilized for parking zone cafes. We request that you work with the other businesses on your block to divide up the space in a fair and equitable way.

For example, if your block has 48 parking spots, then 12 parking spots could be utilized for parking zone cafes. If the block has three businesses wanting a parking zone cafe, then each business could have an equal-sized parking zone cafe of four parking spaces.

Q:  How long will my outside seating area be permitted?

A:  If you are requesting a temporary Parking Zone Streatery closure it will be permitted until such time as the Governor’s Order allows for full indoor dining capacity. . Parking Zone Streatery dining areas will need to be removed at such time as full indoor dining capacity is restored.

If you are requesting an Annual Sidewalk Zone Right-of-Way Use permit it will be valid for the remainder of the calendar year and can be renewed annually.   

Q:  What parts of the public right of way can I convert into an outside seating area for my restaurant?

A:  You can potentially close the parking lane and/or a portion of the sidewalk in front of your business for outside seating.  An accessible route of travel must be maintained along the public sidewalk (see question “What about accessibility for pedestrians with disabilities on the sidewalk?” below). 

Q:  What application do I need to complete to request an outside seating area?

A:  If you want to establish a seating area in the on-street parking spaces adjacent to your business and/or on the sidewalk next to that parking area but not abutting your building you should apply for a Parking Zone Streatery permit.  If you want to establish a seating area directly against the front of your business (or the side of your business if you are on a corner) you should apply for a Sidewalk Zone Annual Right-of-Way Use permit. 

Q:  How much will it cost to set up an outside seating area?

A:  If you are requesting a Parking Zone Streatery permit there is no permit fee. Business owners are responsible for providing adequate barricades and  ensuring accessibility is maintained between the sidewalk and the parking lane (see question “What about accessibility for pedestrians with disabilities within the Streatery closure?” below).

Q:  The business next door to me is also interested in an outside seating area. Can we combine the requests?

A:  Each business should request outside seating separately. If you and a neighboring business would like to combine your seating areas please indicate that desire in the description of your requested closure.   City staff will evaluate adjacent requests and determine if combining the closure is feasible and discuss options with the requesting businesses.

Q: How long will the City of Everett provide barricades for temporary Parking Zone Streateries at no charge? 

A: The City will provide barricades until 10/31/2020. After that, we will reassess the program and determine the best next steps. 

Q:  How do I describe the location of the closure I would like to request?

A:  Describe the location in any way that makes sense to you.  You can count the number of parking spaces, or measure the length and width of the parking and sidewalk areas you want to close.  You can also list all addresses to the doors directly next to the closure area (including upper floor office or apartments), or you can describe the area verbally (from the street trees in the sidewalk to the edge of the parking lane along the entire front of my business). If City staff has any questions about the exact area you are requesting, we will contact you for clarification.

 Q:  Can I combine a parking area closure and a sidewalk closure into a single outside dining area?

A:  Under a Parking Zone Streatery permit it is possible to combine a parking and sidewalk closure into a single outside dining area as long as accessibility standards can be maintained (see question “What about accessibility for pedestrians with disabilities within the Streatery closure?” below).

 Q:  What about accessibility for pedestrians with disabilities on the sidewalk?

A:  No sidewalk closure for outside dining may reduce the width of the public sidewalk to less than half of the total width of the sidewalk, and not less than four feet in any circumstance, to ensure that pedestrians with mobility impairments have an accessible route of travel past the entire closure area.  A four foot wide pedestrian route with no obstructions (sign posts, street trees, etc) must be maintained past the entire closure area.  If more than four feet of sidewalk remain open for public use then it is acceptable for sign posts, tree grates, and other obstructions to be in the open portion of the sidewalk as long as a four foot wide route with no obstructions is maintained.

 Q:  What about accessibility for pedestrians with disabilities within the Parking Zone Streatery closure?

A:  Anywhere within the closure that there is a grade change (step) of more than ½ inch an accessible transition or detectable barrier is required.  For Parking Zone Streatery closures this means that anywhere a patron could walk (or roll in a wheelchair) across the curb between the sidewalk and the parking lane within the Parking Zone Streatery must have either a ramp or a barrier.

If there is an existing curb ramp cast into the sidewalk included in or next to your requested closure you may be able to use it for access to a parking lane dining area.   The route between the existing ramp and your parking area closure may not pass through any open parking spaces and must be approved by the City of Everett.

Any temporary ramp must be at least 4 feet wide with a slope of no more than 12% (i.e. a 5 foot long ramp for a 6 inch drop from the sidewalk to the parking lane).  There must be a 4 foot by 4 foot square landing area at the top and bottom of the ramp.  Portable ramps that meet this requirement are commercially available. If you need assistance, or have a question about ramps, please contact Tyler Chism at tchism@everettwa.gov.

Anywhere without a ramp must have a barrier to prevent pedestrians (particularly those with visual or mobility impairment) from stepping or rolling off the curb from the sidewalk to the parking area.  This barrier must be a minimum of 42 inches high with a cane detectable continuous bottom edge no higher than 12 inches above the sidewalk. The same barricades used to separate the parking lane from the adjacent roadway can be used to meet this requirement, or you can propose an alternative for City staff to review.

Q: I need help figuring out a temporary ramp for my Parking Zone Streatery

A: Please contact Tyler Chism at tchism@everettwa.gov. The City of Everett offers building plans to build a temporary ramp, as well as recourses and information for businesses to rent a temporary ramp. The City of Everett may provide a temporary ramp at no charge on a case by case basis.  

  1. Tyler Chism

    Placemaking Program Manager

  2. Julio Cortes

    Manager, Communications & Marketing

  3. Dan Eernissee

    Economic Development Director