Provide input on the proposed districting map
Your feedback is important! The Commission hosted six community meetings where the public was invited to provide feedback on the proposed city council districts map via Microsoft Teams.
- Public Meeting 1: Sept. 10, 5 - 7 p.m.
- Public Meeting 2: Sept. 12, 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.
- Public Meeting 3: Sept. 13th, 6 - 8 p.m.
- Public Meeting 4: Sept. 14, 3 - 5 p.m.
- Public Meeting 5: Sept. 14, 6 - 8 p.m.
- Public Meeting 6: Sept. 17, 5 - 7 p.m.
Watch the video below to learn more about proposed district map.
subtítulos en Español
Share your feedback with the commission:
The commission encourages the community to send in written comment here or email Nwebber@everettwa.gov. Staff will collect feedback, send it to the commission and include it in the final meeting packet which can be found in the document library below.
Click here to view public comments submitted by the community so far. This document is updated frequently to reflect the feedback received.
Public Comment Meeting 9.13.20 - NO COMMENT PROVIDED
Current commission meeting schedule:
The District Commission has been meeting virtually on the first Monday of the month at 6 p.m. The commission is now having additional meetings that are scheduled for 9.28.20, 10.05.20, 10.12.20 and 10.19.20 @ 5:00 pm- please note that these meetings could be canceled if the commission comes to an agreement on the final map.
How to tune in to meetings:
Access meetings by phone at 425-616-3920,conference ID: 724 887 726#, via Everett Channel: channel 21 on Comcast, channel 29 on Frontier, or streamed live at everettwa.gov/everettchannelstream. Phone lines will be muted for those accessing meetings by phone.
Click the tabs below to learn more about the District Commission, districts and the districting process:
Latest news and updates:
District Commission and map drawing: The commission and Districting Master Tony Fairfax are working to develop a district plan and district map. To date, they have chosen core areas of the city that lay the foundation for district boundaries. They are now discussing draft maps and the finer boundaries of the proposed districts. The commission is aiming to keep neighborhoods and community of interest as intact as possible while following the City Charter and applicable laws. As the commission progresses, they will engage the community and solicit feedback to support the development of the final plan. A draft district plan map, will be shared with the public for comment with at least six meetings (one in each proposed district and one for the full community). These meetings will start no later than Sept. 2020.
The final district plan and map must be approved by the Commission no later than Nov. 1, 2020. City Council will then adopt the plan without modification.
About the Districting Commission
What are districts?
While many cities in Washington elect all of their councilmembers at-large, others have chosen to establish wards or districts, in which some or all of the councilmembers are elected by and represent specific geographic areas of the city.
City Council districts were approved by Everett voters in Nov. 2018. Voters selected a total of five districts and two at-large positions.
Elections: Position 1-5 will eventually become the district positions, and positions 6 and 7 will become the at-large positions.
In 2019, there was an election for positions 4 and 5 (2-year, at-large terms) and for positions 6 and 7 (4-year, at-large terms).
2021 will be the first election by district. Candidates can run for 4-year terms in positions 1-5, representing the new districts. In 2023, there will be elections for positions 6 and 7 for 4-year, at-large terms.
Watch the video below to learn more about council districting.
- 08.31.20 Districting Documents
- 8.3.20 Districting Documents
- PowerPoint 7.20.20
- 7.20.20 District Documents DRAFT
- Everett WA Districting Commission Meeting Plan A-8 July 6 2020 v3
- 7.06.20 District Document
- 6.22.20 Districting Documents
- 6.1.20 Districting Documents
- 5.4.20 District Documents
- 4.06.20 District Documents
- 02.04.20 Districting Documents
- 01.06.20 District Documents
- Districting Presentation 1.6.20
- Districting Commission Rules of Procedure 01.06.20
- 12.02.19 District Documents
- 11.18.19 District Documents
- 11.04.19 Everett Districting Commission
- 10.14.19 District Documents
- Dist Commission Presnetation 10.14.19
- District Master Portfolio Anthony Fairfax CencusChannel LLC