Volunteering & Fostering
Volunteers make a commitment to working a regularly scheduled 2 to 3 hour shift once per week for a minimum of 3 months. We are unable to make any exceptions to this commitment.
Attend a no-obligation volunteer orientation to learn more!
Below are our volunteer opportunities:
- Back of the House Eligible for 16/17 year olds. Parent must attend volunteer orientation to sign all paperwork, but 16/17 year old youth can then volunteer independently. This position does not involve animal handling. It's keeping our shelter going by doing dishes, laundry, filling KONGS.
- Canine and Customer Care Must be 18 years or older. The number one priority of this position is working with potential dog adopters.
- Critter Team (The only shift for this program starts at 8:30am). Eligible for 16/17 year olds. Parent must attend volunteer orientation to sign all paperwork, but 16/17 year old youth can then volunteer independently. Clean and feed our rabbits, guinea pigs, and all the little furry critters (sometimes birds!). Wednesday is the only open shift.
- Dog Walkers Youth/adult teams eligible.Spend time with the shelter dogs walking, socializing, helping them become good adoption candidates. Must be able to handle large, strong dogs. This is a very physical position. No weekend shifts available.
- Early Morning Dog Crew (The only shift for this program is 8am) Must be 18 years or older. Must be able to handle large, strong dogs. Shift starts at 8am. This is not dog walking; it is dog moving!
- Event Team Must be 18 years or older
- Feline and Customer Care Must be 18 years or older. The number one priority of this position is working with potential cat adopters. You also get to socialize cats, and help keep their areas clean and comfortable. No weekend shifts available.
- Lobby Assist We're looking for those amazing customer service folks who can help direct traffic in our lobby, get customers started on paperwork, and just keep everything flowing smoothly. We're excited about getting this program started. Shifts are Friday/Saturday/Sunday (for now). You must be extroverted and enjoy interacting with people. Must be 18 years or older; teams not eligible.
- Vet Services Must be 21 years or older. Assist in our vet clinic with cleaning, restocking clinic supplies, assisting with animal restraint and surgery prep, recovery and monitoring. Other tasks as directed by vet staff. Sorry, no Friday/Saturday shifts available.
- Foster Team Fun for the whole family!
Days & Times Available for Volunteering
Volunteers assist at the shelter between 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. 7 days a week, excluding holidays. Learn about the available shifts in each program during volunteer orientation.
Volunteers 13 to 17 Years Of Age
Young volunteers (13 to 17 years of age) can volunteer with a parent or legal guardian. Parent or legal guardian must also become a volunteer by attending volunteer orientation, all necessary training, and volunteer with the youth on their shift. It is 1 adult to 1 youth.
Hours For School
It's great if you choose our shelter to get your volunteer hours to fulfill a school requirement. However, we are unable to accommodate anything less than a 3 month commitment. We will be unable to sign off on any hours for school until you have fulfilled your 3 month commitment.
Working With a Client?
Court Ordered Community Service
We do not offer availability to get hours for court ordered community service.