A City of Everett business license is required for all persons engaging in business within the city limits of Everett. If you conduct business in Everett, you must have a current Everett business license and file business and occupation taxes.
- Starting a Business
- New Business Licenses
- Business License Renewal
- Regulatory Licenses
- Temporary Business License
- No-Fee Business Registration
First steps to starting a business in Everett:
Are you thinking of starting a business?
- Find help from Washington State’s Small Business Guidance
Have you already started a new business, but haven’t registered with the Department of Revenue?
- Your first step is to choose an ownership structure and register with the Washington State Department of Revenue where you will obtain your Uniform Business Identifier, or commonly called a UBI number.
Do you already have your UBI number and are ready to begin business in Everett?
- Visit New Business Licenses above to find out about costs, how to file for an Everett license online, and next steps.
Applying for a new business license in the City of Everett
For 2022, the cost to obtain a new business license is:
- $90.00: Starting business in Everett between January 1 through June 30
- $45.00: Starting business in Everett between July 1 through December 31
For 2023, the cost to obtain a new business license is:
- $99.00: Starting business in Everett between January 1 through June 30
- $50.00: Starting business in Everett between July 1 and December 31
- Once your application is approved, you will get a copy of your Business License via email or mailed if no email address is provided.
- If your business start date was prior to the current quarter, you will receive tax returns for previous reporting periods.
- If you are a third-party tax preparer, we must have a Tax Authorization form on file as tax information can only be discussed with authorized individuals.
- Do you conduct business inside of your City of Everett home? Please review the regulations for conducting a Home Occupation (PDF) business.
Business License Renewals
- Business license renewals are due Jan. 31
- Renewal invoices will be mailed to you
- For businesses with more than one location inside the city limits of Everett, the renewal fees for all locations will appear on the renewal invoice for your primary business location.
If your business makes more than $20K per year
If your business makes less than $20K per year AND is within Everett city limits
If your business makes less than $20K per year
Each additional location
Primary License Rate
|If your business makes less than $40K per year AND is within Everett city limits|
Each Additional Location
|Primary License Rate||$99||$13||$26|
|By January 31 (due date)||None|
|In February (February 1-28)||10% of current renewal fee|
|After February||20% of current renewal fee|
For more information about paying your taxes visit our Business and Occupation tax page.
When do you need a Regulatory License?
Regulatory licenses are required for the following activities and businesses:
- Dance hall
- For-hire vehicles
- Garbage removal
- Hotel / Motel
- Massage Parlors, Body Painting and Public Bathhouses
- Mobile food unit
- Pawn broker
- Secondhand dealer
- Septic tank dumping
- Towing company
- Traffic Escort Service
To obtain a regulatory license, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 425-257-8610.
Additional information about regulatory business licenses can be found in Title 5 of the Everett Municipal Code.
Do you qualify for a temporary business license?
- Will you only be operating in Everett on a temporary one-time basis of no more than three (3) consecutive days in the current calendar year; AND
- Do you estimate your gross receipts to be under $5,000?
If you answered YES to both of these questions, apply for a temporary business license. There is no cost for a temporary business license.
If you answered NO to either question, please apply for a regular business license. You can apply online through FileLocal.
Do you qualify for an annual no-fee business registration?
If you answer YES to both of these questions, you can register for a no-fee business license.
- Does your business reside outside the city limits of Everett? AND;
- Do you anticipate your gross proceeds of sales or gross income of the business in the city is equal to or less than $2,000
New License applicants: If you answered YES to both of these questions, you may apply online on FileLocal to qualify for the no-fee business license.
License Renewals: Please fill out our registration form to update your account to an annual no-fee business license.
Tax forms for no-fee business registrations are mailed on an annual basis.
If you do not qualify?
If you answered NO to either of these questions, please apply for a regular business license. See Applications below.