A City of Everett business license is required for all persons engaging in business within the city limits of Everett. If you conduct business in Everett, you must have a current Everett business license and file business and occupation taxes.
- Starting a Business
- New Business Licenses
- Business License Renewal
- Regulatory Licenses
- No-Fee Business Registration
First steps to starting a business in Everett:
Are you thinking of starting a business?
- Find help from Washington State’s Small Business Guidance
Have you already started a new business, but haven’t registered with the Department of Revenue?
- Your first step is to choose an ownership structure and register with the Washington State Department of Revenue where you will obtain your Uniform Business Identifier, or commonly called a UBI number.
Do you already have your UBI number and are ready to begin business in Everett?
- Visit New Business Licenses above to find out about costs, how to file for an Everett license online, and next steps.
Applying for a new business license in the City of Everett
For 2023, the cost to obtain a new business license is:
- $99.00: Starting business in Everett between January 1 through June 30
- $50.00: Starting business in Everett between July 1 and December 31
For 2024, the cost to obtain a new business license is:
- $104.00: Starting business in Everett between January 1 through June 30
- $52.00: Starting business in Everett between July 1 and December 31
- Once your application is approved, you can get a copy of your Business License on FileLocal.
- If you are a third-party tax preparer, we must have a Tax Authorization form on file as tax information can only be discussed with authorized individuals.
- Do you conduct business inside of your City of Everett home? Please review the regulations for conducting a Home Occupation business.
Business License Renewals
- Business license renewals are due Jan. 31
- Renewal invoices will be mailed to you
- For businesses with more than one location inside the city limits of Everett, the renewal fees for all locations will appear on the renewal invoice for your primary business location.
- Renew online on
|If your business makes less than $40K per year AND is within Everett city limits|
Each Additional Location
|Primary License Rate||$99||$13||$26|
|Default Fee||If your business makes less than $45K per year AND is within Everett city limits||Each additional Location |
|Primary License Rate||$104||$13||$28|
|By January 31 (due date)||None|
|In February||10% of current renewal fee|
|After February||20% of current renewal fee|
For more information about paying your taxes visit our Business and Occupation tax page.
When do you need a Regulatory License?
Regulatory licenses are required for the following activities and businesses:
- Dance hall
- For-hire vehicles
- Garbage removal
- Hotel / Motel
- Massage Parlors, Body Painting and Public Bathhouses
- Pawn broker
- Secondhand dealer
- Septic tank dumping
- Towing company
- Traffic Escort Service
To obtain a regulatory license, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 425-257-8610.
Additional information about regulatory business licenses can be found in Title 5 of the Everett Municipal Code.
Do you qualify for an annual no-fee business registration?
If you answer YES to both of these questions, you can register for a no-fee business registration.
- Does your business reside outside the city limits of Everett? AND;
- Do you anticipate your gross proceeds of sales or gross income of the business in the city is equal to or less than $5,000
New no-fee applicants: If you answered YES to both of these questions, you may apply online on FileLocal to qualify for the no-fee business registration.
No-fee Renewals: Please fill out our renewal form to update your account to an annual no-fee business registration.
No-fee business registrations must file taxes annually even if no taxes are owed.
If you do not qualify?
If you answered no to either of these questions, please apply for a regular business license. See Applications below.