Are you an experienced officer?
The Everett Police Department is hiring qualified candidates.
The Everett Police Department is actively seeking quality experienced officers. You are eligible to apply as a Lateral or Experienced Police Officer if you have:
- A minimum of twenty-four (24) months of full-time paid service as a sworn police officer in a civilian governmental jurisdiction with extensive patrol experience, without a break in service of more than thirty-six (36) months by the application date AND either the successful completion of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Basic Law Enforcement Academy (BLEA) prior to application date, or the ability to successfully complete the Washington State Justice Training Commission Equivalency Examination within one (1) year after employment. Out-of-state applicants must possess the necessary training and experience to become certified in accordance with Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission standards.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain prior to employment, a valid Washington State Driver License and the ability to maintain it for the duration of employment.
- Attainment of the age of 21 years by the application date.
- Excellent physical condition.
- Not on the current eligible register for Experienced Police Officer, per Everett’s Civil Service Rule 2.12.
Experienced Police Officer Incentive Program
- In-state officers - up to $30,000
- Out-of-state officers - up to $25,000
- Basic Law Enforcement Academy (BLEA) Certified Officers - up to $15,000
Application materials may be accessed online by clicking here. All applicants are required to complete and submit the City of Everett employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The first part of the testing process is a panel review of your responses to the supplemental questionnaire. Treat this as a TEST as responses are used to determine whether you meet the eligibility requirements and measure suitability for the department. Answer all questions fully as resumes are not used in this part of the process.
You will be notified of the results by email and/or phone.
Oral Panel Evaluation
After successfully passing the supplemental questionnaire, you will be scheduled for an oral panel evaluation and will receive a Personal History Statement questionnaire. A passing score of 70% is required to continue in the hiring process.
Once you successfully complete the oral panel, the background investigation will begin. The investigation process may include:
- Review of the personal history statement
- Initial interview
- Background check
- Criminal history check
- Polygraph (lie detector) exam
- Suitability assessment
- Reference check
You can view a list of automatic and potential disqualifiers here.
Summary of Benefits
Experienced Officers start at the top base wage of $106,692 per year.
BLEA Certified Officers start at a base wage of $81,408 per year.
City Match on Deferred Compensation Retirement Plan
For 2022, the employer will match up to $3,200 annually.
Preloaded Vacation and Sick Time
Experienced Officers will receive 80 hours of vacation and 80 hours of sick time upon hiring.
Experienced Officers accrue vacation based on total years of qualifying law enforcement service:
|Years of Service||# of Work Hours Per Month||Hours Per Year|
|3rd & 4th Years||11.333||136|
|6th & 7th Years||12.667||152|
|8th & 9th Years||13.333||160|
|10th - 14th Years||14.000||168|
|15th - 19th Years||15.333||184|
|20th - 24th Years||16.667||200|
|25th year & Beyond||18.667||224|
An experienced applicant who has had continuous commissioned police officer service as recognized by the Washington Criminal Justice Training Commission will have their vacation accrual calculated upon their years of continuous police officer service. Lapse of continuous service over 4 weeks will not be considered continuous service. Human Resources will review all submitted documentation for eligibility.
In lieu of holiday time off, employees receive a holiday bank of 132 hours each year. This bank can be used as additional time off or be cashed out at the end of the calendar year.
*Employees hired after January 1st will have their hours prorated.
Longevity & College Incentive
Officers have the option of receiving either the longevity or college incentive, but not both:
|After the completion of 4 years with EPD||2.0% per month additional|
|After the completion of 8 years with EPD||3.5% per month additional|
|After the completion of 12 years with EPD||5.5% per month additional|
|After the completion of 16 years with EPD||7.0% per month additional|
|After the completion of 20 years with EPD||9.0% per month additional|
|After the completion of 24 years with EPD||11.0% per month additional|
|After the completion of 28 years with EPD||13.0% per month additional|
|45 credits (one year)||2.0% per month additional|
|90 credits (two years)||3.5% per month additional|
|135 credits (three year)||5.5% per month additional|
|B.A. or B.S. Degree||7.0% per month additional|
|Master’s Degree||9.0% per month additional|
|Ph.D. or Doctorate||11.0% per month additional|
Medical, Dental and Vision Plan for Officers & Dependents
Medical: The City provides the following three (3) plans.
- HMA (City Self-Insured PPO Plan)
- HMA (Consumer Driven Health Care Plan)
- Kaiser (HMO)
Dental: Delta Dental of Washington
Vision: HMA Vision Coverage
For more information contact the City of Everett HR Benefits Coordinator at 425-257-7035.
Specialty Pay for Specialty Assignment
Specialty assignments are paid 4% and above the first class officers Base Monthly Wage.
|ACT Team Member||K-9 Handlers|
|Background Investigations Officer||Motorcycle Patrol Officer|
|Bomb Technician||Range Master|
|Community Outreach & Enforcement Team||School Resource Officer|
|Dive Team Members||Tactical Team Coordinator|
|Gang Response Unit Member||Tactical Team Member (SWAT)|
|Hostage Negotiators||Training Officer|
|Investigations Detective||Video Forensics Detective|
- College tuition reimbursement program
- LEOFF II Pension plan
- Take-home car program
*All uniforms and required equipment are provided by the department.