Due to public health concerns related to COVID-19, the Permit Services public counter is temporarily closed to the public until further notice. We remain fully operational with revised policies on how we will serve your needs. Staff can be contacted by email or by telephone during our current telephone hours. Please note that we are experiencing a higher volume of calls and emails with limited staff available to respond. We will respond to your inquiry in the order received. Please see our current policies and announcements below.
Public Inquiries: Please reference our Quick Resource Guide (PDF) for all project & property questions, and to connect with staff via email.
Permit Intakes & Issuance: Please reference our Permitting Procedures During Temporary Office Closure policy (PDF) for instructions on dropping off permit applications and issuance.
Phase 2 Reopening: Local business owners can use the Phase 2 Reopening: Guide to Determining Maximum Occupant Loads (PDF) to calculate their Phase 2 occupant loads and for access to the Governor’s reopening requirements for each type of business listed in Phase 2.
We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage people to stay safe and healthy by following guidelines from the Snohomish Health District.
Our service: Permit Services offers residents and private developers information about private construction and development in the City of Everett and processes all of the required permits for construction.
Office location: 3200 Cedar Street, 2nd floor
Everett, WA 98201
Lobby hours for permit submittal drop-box:
Monday – Friday | 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
See Permitting Procedures During Temporary Office Closure policy (PDF) for instructions.
Permit Services phone hours:
See Phone Tree Selections (PDF) for phone hours specific to each division.
See dates Permit Services will not be available due to holiday observances.
HOLIDAY NOTICE: Monday, January 18, 2021 is a City holiday in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. There will be no lobby access, phone hours, email responses or inspections performed. All services will resume on the next business day.
Announcement: 2018 State Building Code adoptions are postponed until February 1, 2021. Visit the Washington State Building Code Council for additional information.
Scroll through the tabs below for informational handouts or stop by the permit counter to meet with staff about your property inquiries and permitting needs.
Permit applications available online
Visit the eTRAKiT online permitting portal (for best results using eTRAKiT, use Internet Explorer as your web browser) to apply for the select online permits as listed on the portal.
Permit applications and required submittal documents shall be dropped off at the Permit Services lobby. Please download and print the following applications to submit with your permit package and follow all instructions for submitting:
- Building, mechanical, plumbing, sign, sprinkler & demolition permit application (PDF)
- Electrical permit application (PDF)
- Fire alarm permit application (PDF)
- Franchise permit application (PDF)
- Public Works permit application (PDF) for site development/civil work
- Residential solar panel permit application (PDF)
- Water/Sewer utility permit application (PDF)
- Transmittal sheet (PDF) for resubmittal of existing permits under review
City of Everett business license
Contractors working in the city limits of Everett need a current City of Everett business license. For more information visit the Business License web page or email the City Clerk’s Office for business license numbers or account status information.
Checklists for permits
- Permit Services Self-Serve Resource Guide (PDF)
- Accessible parking & route checklist (PDF)
- Adult family home checklist (PDF)
- Change of occupancy checklist (PDF)
- Commercial construction submittal checklist (PDF)
- Commercial kitchen plumbing checklist (PDF)
- Commercial mechanical & hoods checklist (PDF)
- Commercial permit submittal process (PDF)
- Commercial roofing checklist (PDF)
- Espresso stand checklist (PDF)
- Fire detection checklist (PDF)
- Fire suppression checklist (PDF)
- Oil & grease control for food services checklist (PDF)
- RCW 64.55 checklist (PDF)
- RCW 64.55 valuation spreadsheet (XLS)
- Residential basic review checklist (PDF)
- Residential construction submittal checklist (PDF)
- Sign permit checklist (PDF)
- Tenant improvement submittal checklist (PDF)
- Accessible parking & route (PDF)
- Accessory structures (PDF)
- Adult family home WABO inspections (PDF)
- Building height (PDF)
- Commercial daycare & medical care (PDF)
- Commercial decks, ramps & stairs (PDF)
- Construction codes (PDF)
- Construction within a potential methane hazard zone (PDF)
- Family home childcare (PDF)
- Fence brochure (PDF)
- Grease & oil management (PDF)
- Heat pump installation (PDF)
- New business (PDF)
- Noise (PDF)
- Propane (PDF)
- Type 1 & 2 hoods (PDF)
- Water heater replacement (PDF)
A 2.3% credit card convenience fee will be applied to all credit and debit card transactions, effective July 1, 2019.
Please reference the Building Official’s Administrative Guidelines (PDF) for administrative fees and the Permit Services refund policy.
- Commercial building permit fees (PDF)
- Electrical permit fees (PDF)
- Fire Dept review & inspection fees (PDF)
- Fire sprinkler permit fees (PDF)
- Mechanical & plumbing permit fees (PDF)
- Public Works permit fees (PDF)
- SRF, townhouse & duplex permit fees (PDF)
- Traffic & school mitigation fees (PDF)
- Utility & system development fees (PDF)
Please request inspections through the eTRAKiT online permitting portal (for best results using eTRAKiT, use Internet Explorer as your web browser).
- Login to your account
- Select the permit from your dashboard
- Select the inspection type from the list and submit.
See the Inspection Request brochure (PDF) for information on requesting inspections and for a list of available inspection types for each type of permit.
To listen to recorded instructions to walk you through the online inspection request process, please call 425-257-8810, Option 2.
WABO inspections for Adult Family Homes
See the Adult family home WABO inspections (PDF) handout for further information.
Visit our eTRAKiT online permitting portal (for best results using eTRAKiT, use Internet Explorer as your web browser) to search for the following:
- Permit search: Search by permit number, site address, or parcel number to find a construction permit and supporting documentation.
- Project search: Search by project number, site address, or parcel number to find a land use project, supporting information, and related development applications.
- Parcel search: Search by owner name, site address, or parcel number to obtain additional information about a property from the Snohomish County Assessor's office.
- Code search: Search by case number, site address or parcel number to find related code violations.
Digital records center
The City of Everett eTrakit (for best results using eTRAKiT, use Internet Explorer as your web browser) online permit history goes back to 1992. For permit history prior to 1992, check out our Digital Records Center. Just click on Address Search under Real Property Information to access these records.